California DPR has granted an emergency exemption for fungicide applications to orchards that have standing water until June 1st, 2017. This applies only to the following counties:
Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter, Tehama, and Yuba
DPR is granting the exemption because the rain has made ground orchard access difficult to impossible for many growers. The exemption allows for aerial application of certain fungicides to orchards with standing water. The key issue to be aware of when considering these applications is that any of the standing water cannot be pumped offsite, or flow offsite due to run-off.
The conditions for application are:
1. Water must be standing and will not flow into state waterways where fish and wildlife are likely to be affected. Applications are not allowed if water is flowing off the intended application site.
2. Standing water will not be pumped from the orchard after the fungicide application.
3. Applications are made in accordance with all other label directions.
Additionally, you cannot do an application if:
1. Soil moisture is at field capacity and a storm event, forecasted by the NOAA or NWS, is to occur within 48 hours following the application, or
2. A storm event that is likely to produce runoff is forecasted to occur within 48 hours following the application.
If you have standing water and want more information, be sure to read the full order and ask your county ag commissioner if you have any questions.